Things you should know before hiring an electrician
Have you asked yourself, why should I hire a Licensed Electrical Contractor? Should I get an electrician for less and avoid filling permits and inspections? So what do you do? Many people believe they have found success by using unlicensed contractors. But there are a few things you should know before hiring an electrician. This post will tell you what you need to know before putting in danger your life and property.
In order for Electricians to be licensed they are required to demonstrate their expertise and knowledge of the electrical code through written, practical examination and multiple years working for a Licensed Electrician. Moreover, due to the risk involved in their work, The Department of Buildings in their effort to protect the public, requires them to obtain permits and schedule inspections for all electrical work otherwise the property owner, company and electrician may receive a fine.
If you’re looking for an Electrician, the best method to ensure you end up with something that lets you sleep at night is by looking for these things:
- Make sure your Electrician is Licensed, Ask for their license or verify by company name in the NYC DOB Licensing Unit
- Don’t just take the lowest bid. Research the estimated cost of the work, so you have an idea if the price they are asking is fair or way off. For home owners a good resource is HomeWyse.com
- Ensure your Electrician has Insurance, so you can be covered in case of any damage.
- Do not pay more than 1/3 down, never pay in cash and keep records of all your payments.
- Do not sign any contract before reading it, make sure you understand the payment and warranty terms.
Now that you know the benefits of hiring a Licensed Electrical Contractor, you’re ready to get the job done without worrying about your safety and money.